Today kicks off Virginia wine month, a time when Virginia wine lovers near and far are encouraged to get out and enjoy Virginia wine country at the height of the fall season. Virginia wine country offers a number of exciting wine trails, warm and inviting tasting rooms, and so many delicious wines to taste, that the entire month of October is dedicated to Virginia wine! Hip-Hip Hooray, right? The good news: Virginia wine lovers need little encouragement to enjoy Virginia wine. Most, if not all, enjoy Virginia wine year-around. However, for Virginia wine month, we will enjoy an extra glass or two. No worries!
Fall is in the Air!
So why is October a great time to “fall” in love with Virginia wine? October is a good time to plan a visit to Virginia wine country because of the breathtaking spectrum of fall colors, the cool and crisp temperatures (especially after dealing with the extra-hot and super-sized humid summer of 2010), and all the fun-filled wine events and fall festivals offered this time of year. For the kick-off to Virginia wine month, I’ve compiled a list of Virginia wine factoids below. Get out and celebrate Virginia wine month, friends, and raise a toast to Virginia wine and have an enjoyable and safe time on the wine trail. I would love to know what Virginia wines you are enjoying too, so drop me a line via e-mail, Face-Book, or Twitter.
Spread the word about Virginia wine one glass at a time!
* Virginia Tourism Corp: Virginia Wine Month began in 1988 as a way to support Virginia’s young wine business. There were just 40 wineries at the time.
* In 2000, 64 farm wineries were licensed in Virginia.
* Watch the growth! In 2010 over 160 Virginia wineries are on the books and the number is on the rise every month.
Virginia Wine Lovers!
* Virginia has six AVA’s (American Viticultural Area) with another (Middleburg) to come soon! These six AVA’s are the Eastern Shore AVA, Monticello AVA, North Fork of Roanoke AVA, Northern Neck George Washington Birthplace AVA, Rocky Knob AVA, and Shenandoah Valley AVA.
* It’s a FACT: You meet some of the nicest people while out on the Virginia wine trail – both in and out of the wine business.
* Virginia is “One of five up and coming wine regions in the world.”
~ Travel and Leisure magazine, July 12, 2007
Ask questions, you can learn a lot during a tasting session.
* Virginia is “first in wine.” Since the colonists arrived in 1607, Virginians have been making wine. Back then each Jamestown settler was required to grow and tend ten vines for wine production.
* Virginia has some of the most supportive and talented wine bloggers in the nation. Many people outside of Virginia first hear about wine being grown in the Commonwealth through a wine blog – and that’s a fact. Keep up the great job, friends! For a complete listing, check the left hand column of my blog under "blog roll."
* Virginia is the 5th largest wine producer in the U.S.A.
* Here is a fact: Not all Virginia wines are created equal. Say what, Dezel? Yep. Style and quality are scattered in these here parts. But there are a number of producers making high-quality wines reflective of Virginia’s unique terroir and its vintage. On a personal note: that’s the local wines I enjoy best.
A Collection of Virginia Wine Bloggers (Follow these guys!)
* Virginia's own Thomas Jefferson was America's first wine connoisseur.
* It’s estimated that over a million wonderful people visit Virginia’s wineries annually.
* Last Factoid: If you’re not already a Virginia Wine Lover, keep swirling, sniffing, and sipping the local juice- you will be soon!
In closing, the good folks over at the Virginia Tourism Corporation have numerous fall specials and events posted on their homepage and the Virginia Wine Marketing Office is a good spot to learn more abut Virginia wine. Have a question about this post, friends? Feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail at email@example.com, and as always, Happy Sipping! Stay tuned friends ...More to come!
Get 1/2 off shipping when you buy Italian wine in quantities of 6 bottles or more with promo code "vine65"
- Please Click Here to vote Dezel's My Vine Spot as your favorite wine blog - You can vote 1x per day!
- Click Here to follow me on Twitter.
- Friend me up on Face-Book here.
Happy Sipping Friends - Tell your friends about the blog and thanks for your support and kind emails !
Dezel's My Vine Spot © 2006-2010. All rights reserved.