Château Meyger 2008 Dry Furmint: Think outside the box!

Hello Friends,

In the wine world, to think outside the box is to drink outside the box. And no, I’m not referring to box wines, but wine selection – be it bottle or box. I’ve discovered from talking to people when I visit wine shops and wineries that many people play it safe when selecting a wine. Some people stay within the big six (Chardonnay, Riesling, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Pinot Noir) and others get wrapped around the style of a wine and rarely divert. I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but I will repeat it again, “We’re living in the golden age of wine.” Wine is being produced all over our great globe and the selection is mind-blowing. In the wine world, there is always something new to taste and new to learn. So why limit yourself, right? Every now and then, it’s good to try something altogether different. This doesn’t mean that your way of doing things is wrong; it just means you’re not afraid to swirl, sniff, and sip something different than what you’re accustomed to. Variety, so they say, is the spice of life.

2008 Château Meyger Furmint (Dry)


Do I practice what I preach? Sure I do. My “Think outside the box” pick for today is a 2008 Château Meyger Furmint (Dry) from Hungary. Many people, myself included, associate Hungary solely with sweet wines – most notably, the famed, golden, delicious Tokaji Aszú wines. Now, if you have never had a Tokaji Aszú, try one as your “Think outside the box” wine for dessert! One of the key white-wine grape varieties in Tokay’s sweet wine is Furmint. Furmint is susceptible to noble rot, which yields flavorful and concentrated berries, so it’s an ideal candidate for complex dessert wines. To a lesser degree, Furmint is also vinified into a dry wine, which is what I have selected for this post. The 2008 Château Meyger Furmint is refreshing and bright with delicate floral, golden apple, white fruit, and subtle (metallic) mineral aromas. It drinks nicely on its own, yet the food-friendly acidity allows it to pair well with a wide variety of dishes. This wine clocks in at a very moderate 9.5% ABV and retails for about $11. I plan to add a few of the dry, refreshing, and reasonably-priced white wines of Hungary to my shopping list to enjoy this spring and summer. The next time you visit your local wine shop or tasting room, think outside the box and try something totally new – at least to you. Drop me an e-mail, tweet me, share a comment, or hit me up on Facebook, and let me know what you found and how you enjoyed it. Cheers!

Have a question about this post, friends? Feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail at myvinespot@yahoo.com, and as always, Happy Sipping! Stay tuned ...more to come!

Live, Love, Laugh, Tweet, Sip, Enjoy!


My Vine Spot

  • Please Click Here to vote Dezel's My Vine Spot as your favorite wine blog - You can vote 1x per day!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...