01.03.2013 Wine Reviews: Freedom Run Winery, Flora Springs Winery, and Elk Run Vineyards

Hello Friends,

I know you would never believe this, but I uncork or unscrew a new wine adventure just about every day. Being a wine enthusiast, a wine blogger, and someone who thoroughly appreciates and enjoys the liquid expression of a place, a person’s vision, and Mother Nature’s influence, I often times tell people that wine is one of the most intriguing beverages in the world. It’s a hobby where there is always something new to taste and learn as well as great people to meet in real life or via those wonderful virtual bridges called Facebook and Twitter. Below are a few of my recent sips, brief tasting notes, and a picture I snapped of each bottle. Variety, so they say, is the spice of life, so keep an open mind and an open palate and enjoy the experience. Drink well, my friends!

 Freedom Run Winery Estate 2010 Cabernet Franc


1) Freedom Run Winery Estate 2010 Cabernet Franc (SRP $22): This is a small family-owned and operated winery that I was introduced to by way of the Empire State Cellars' [New York] Wine Club. Without this service, getting my hands on this and like bottles (from small producers in NY) would be near impossible without going to the tasting room. Unmistakably Cabernet Franc, this selection out of New York's Niagara Escarpment shows distinct cherry, raspberry and violet scents interwoven with [slight] field herbs, spice, and trailing notes of sweet tobacco leaf. The aromas carry over to the palate with fresh fruit flavors on a slender frame, good balancing acidity, a supple texture, and a pleasant medium length finish. I had Chinon with my turkey dinner for Thanksgiving; but, this selection could have easily partnered up with it, too. Click here to find this wine.

 Flora Springs Winery 2009 Limited Release Cabernet Franc


2) Flora Springs Winery 2009 Limited Release Cabernet Franc (SRP $48): You don’t see much Cabernet Franc [as a varietal wine] coming out of the Napa Valley -- since growers can consistently ripen its offspring, Cabernet Sauvignon. The latter is better known, fetches more money, and has the potential to make wines of greater character, complexity, and depth. This limited production Cabernet Franc, from the Rutherford appellation, offers inviting aromas of black cherry, sweet plum, and warm spice shaded by touches of anise, cedar, and vanilla/cocoa bean. It is rich yet balanced with smooth tannins, a core of (softer than the nose suggest) black cherry and blackberry fruit finishing with a touch of spice in the lasting finish. I originally found several bottles of this wine on WTSO and my friends who shared a glass with me also enjoyed it. This wine is sold out so click here to visit the producer’s website for future release information.

 Elk Run Vineyards 2008 Cold Friday Cabernet Franc


3) Elk Run Vineyards 2008 Cold Friday Vineyard Cabernet Franc (SRP $25): This is a small Maryland-based producer that’s been producing wine since the early 1980’s. Dried cherry and raspberry mingle with [sweet] spice, a touch of mocha, and a hint of wild herb in this soft (middling acidity), round, and very approachable single-vineyard Cabernet Franc. On a cold winter day, this wine along with a bowl of hot Texas chili and a big square of jalapeno corn bread provided ample warmth and satisfaction. Click here to find this wine.

Along my walking trail: Jones Point Lighthouse (built 1855)


Have a question about this post? Feel free to drop me an e-mail at myvinespot@yahoo.com or hit me up on Facebook or Twitter. Stay tuned ...more to come. Happy Sipping, my friends!

Live, Love, Laugh, Tweet, Sip, Enjoy!

My Vine Spot

  • Please Click Here to vote Dezel's My Vine Spot as your favorite wine blog - You can vote 1x per day!
  • Friend me up on Face-Book here.

Thanks for reading and please tell your wine-loving friends about the blog. Cheers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...