Quick Sip: 2008 Flat Creek Estate Super Texan

Hello Friends,

Last month, while Virginia wine lovers were celebrating Virginia wine month, our friends down south were celebrating Texas wine month. Having lived in Texas for over a decade during my collegiate years and thereafter, I didn’t have a clue wine was grown and produced in Texas. However, in my defense, I wasn’t a wine drinker back then either. I know, shame on me, right? I first learned about Texas wine the same way many people learn about Virginia wine - through wine blogs. Vintage Tweets and Vinotology were two wine blogs that introduced me to what was going on in Texas wine country. My punk rock pal Ben Simmons of Vinotology has since moved out west and is doing a great job covering the wines of Washington State. Before Ben left Texas, he sent a nice Texas gem my way. I waited a while to open it up, but you know the saying, “Good things come to those who wait.” And it did!

2008 Flat Creek Estate Super Texan


It doesn’t surprise me that the Texans would produce a wine that pairs well with BBQ. The wine I uncorked to celebrate Texas wine month was a 2008 Flat Creek Estate Super Texan. A name play on the Italian Super Tuscan, the Super Texan is a Texas grown Sangiovese based blend. The wine displays a youthful ruby color with raspberry, dried cranberry, and spice aromas dotted with hints of toast and smoke. On the palate, the wine is medium bodied and easy drinking with good acidity, bright red fruit flavors, and a nice medium length refreshing finish. The acidity and suppleness makes this wine perfect for food pairing. Like any good Texan would do, I paired this wine with a brisket dinner and the match was very enjoyable. The Flat Creek Estate Super Texan retails for $19.95, clocks in at 13.9% ABV, and has a real cork enclosure. Texas is an up-and-coming wine industry, boasting eight AVA’s and over 160 wineries. As a former Texan, I’m glad to see the state I once called home making a name for itself in the world of wine. Go Texas!

Have a question about this post, friends? Feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail at myvinespot@yahoo.com, and as always, Happy Sipping! Stay tuned friends ...More to come!

INFO: CLICK HERE to follow Flat Creek Estate on Twitter.


Wine gift baskets and fine wine: Get 50% off shipping when you purchase 6 or more bottles with code "vine14"



My Vine Spot

  • Please Click Here to vote Dezel's My Vine Spot as your favorite wine blog - You can vote 1x per day!
  • Friend me up on Face-Book here.

Happy Sipping Friends - Tell your friends about the blog and thanks for your support and kind emails !

Dezel's My Vine Spot © 2006-2010. All rights reserved.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...