Quick Sip: Rockhouse Vineyards 2008 Meritage


Hello Friends,

Outside of wines from the well-known and popular Biltmore Estate Winery, it’s rare for me to get any North Carolina grown juice in my glass. North Carolina is home to more than 100 wineries, all mainly small family-owned operations with small production totals. For this reason, the wines rarely make it out of the state and are mostly enjoyed my local North Carolinians and tourists. Fortunately for me, I have a neighbor (@bkke) with North Carolina roots; so I was able to exercise a “blogger bottle swap” and get some juice from the Tar Heel state in my wine glass.

Rockhouse Vineyards 2008 North Carolina Meritage


The backstory behind this producer bares similarities to other small farm wineries I’ve had the pleasure of visiting over the years. The story: A husband and wife or a group of friends, who are passionate about wine, plant a few vines and start making batches of wine at home for a small circle of friends – and before you know it, it’s a hobby gone wild! That sounds like the case with Lee Griffin and Marsha Cassedy, owners of Rockhouse Vineyards. Their 200 acre farm (10 acres under vine), located in the small mountain town Tryon (i.e. located southeast of Asheville), is planted to classic European varieties. For today’s ‘Quick Sip,’ I’m rocking the house with Rockhouse Vineyards 2008 Meritage (50% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot, and 25% Petit Verdot). The wine is deep garnet in color with blackberry, dark cherry, spice, dried herbs, and peppery aromas with light toasty and cedar accents. It’s light to medium in body and balanced by good food-friendly acidity. Overall, a savory and tasty wine that’s ideal for matching with a wide variety of foods and reasonably priced at just under $20. Cheers!

Click Here to visit Rockhouse Vineyards' website.

Have a question about this post, friends? Feel free to leave a comment or send me an e-mail at myvinespot@yahoo.com, and as always, Happy Sipping! Stay tuned ...more to come.

Live, Love, Laugh, Tweet, Sip, Enjoy!

My Vine Spot

  • Please Click Here to vote Dezel's My Vine Spot as your favorite wine blog - You can vote 1x per day!
  • Friend me up on Face-Book here.

Happy Sipping Friends - Tell your friends about the blog and thanks for your support and kind emails !

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...